These heart shaped blueberry hand pies are cute, delicious, and easy to make.
Updated January 2018
I don’t know about you, but Valentine’s Day is a ho hum holiday for me.
Ever since grade school, when the teacher made us give Valentine’s to EVERYONE, the holiday has paled in comparison to, say Easter. By middle school everyone was getting flowers, and I was not a girl that got flowers.
Now that I’m married, though, Valentine’s has been reinstated.
My husband and I cook each other special treats to celebrate our love for food, I mean, each other. Definitely each other.
This means that I am always on the lookout for something special I can prepare around the holiday.
This year, though, I am just back to work full time after having our son.
I don’t have the oodles of free time I used to have – which means the pear, fig, and goat cheese tart I had planned just isn’t going to happen.
He DOES have a birthday coming up! And its a big one. I am starting to plan now, but I’m in that oo many ideas phase. But that’s for another blog post I think!
I wanted something easy that I could make with things I have around the house usually.
These heart shaped blueberry hand pies more than fit the bill.
There are also endless variations.
I made these with a simple five minute blueberry jam recipe from Vegetarian Times, and my go to crust. But you could use any traditional pie filling, and even a savory filling like roasted mushrooms, or pierogi style with potatoes and cheese.
Wait – what? Potato and cheese hand pies?
That may be dinner tonight, she says, her hips getting bigger at just the thought.
This version, though, uses my easy flaky butter pie crust.
I don’t sweat the crust calories (much), because the filling has NO added sugar. The Vegetarian Times Blueberry Chia jam is sweetened with just a bit of maple syrup (or honey), so it isn’t too sweet.
Honestly, though, you can’t tell the difference!
I recommend making these at most the day before you serve them. You can dust with powdered sugar, drizzle with honey, ice them – or, if you’re like me, eat them hot and fresh right out of the oven.
I don’t think they need much enhancement, but a little frosting never hurt anything, it’s true!
Well, almost right out of the oven.
I tried to wait JUST long enough they wouldn’t burn my tongue ya know? Also known as just long enough to scoop some vanilla ice cream next to them!
I used a larger cookie cutter for this, that I’ve had for years. But this one is very similar, and available right now.
What’s your go-to Valentine’s treat?
Let me know in the comments! I’m always looking for new ideas for both kids and adults.
Heart Shaped Blueberry Hand Pies
- 2 Pie Crusts Prepared from our Easy Flaky Buttery Pie Crust You may also use store bought crust to cut down on time.
- 4-8 Tablespoons Blueberry Chia Jam, Prepared according to recipe from Vegetarian Times
- 1 egg beaten
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or tin foil.
- Roll out your crusts as if you were going to make a pie.
- Take your cookie cutter and cut out 8 heart shapes from the prepared crust.
- Place 1-2 tablespoons of jam on 4 of the heart cut outs.
- Using a pastry brush, brush the sides of the heart cut outs with the jam lightly.
- Place the remaining four hearts over the top of the hearts with the jam.
- Seal the sides with a fork.
- Brush the tops of your hearts with your egg wash.
- Place pies on baking sheet, and slide into the oven.
- Bake 12-15 minutes, or until crusts are golden brown and filling is hot.
- Serve warm.